Monday, January 29, 2007

Thin

So, honest is best. I bought this book because I have a swimmer on every team I've coached who has had an eating problem. I look back at my high school career as a distance runner, and have realized that I didn;t eat nearly enough to fuel my body, or enough of the right foods (I worry how many female athletes never realize this, because it's so subconscience). I never had a full-blown eating problem, but I did know the skinny= faster equation, and while scared of it, did my best to hold by its standards. Not any diagnosable criteria, I realize now, but no healthy. Every anal athlete should have a set of goals each day as it pretains to nutrition....

My health was never a question, and I was not in danger. Not the case in some of my atheletes, no the people you met in "Thin." Danger, fear, worry. Behold the power of pictures. So scary. So true. It oly makes me worry more... and not ot be too dramatic, but how much time peoplewho suffer from this have left.

The book is a mix of had and type- written notes, and pictures, based on a HBO documentary. It's all too real. And sad.

1 comment:

Charles said...

Wow. I agree, "honest is best." Great review. I'd like to check this book out too sometime, especially as someone on the opposite end of the spectrum.