Sunday, April 08, 2007

interpreter of maladies / stories by Jhumpa Lahiri

INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER... WINNER OF THE PULITZER PRIZE... PEN/HEMINGWAY AWARD WINNER... NEW YORKER "DEBUT OF THE YEAR".... it declares on the front and back covers. I am not typically one to be swayed by such awards, since artistic merit does not always translate into a good read. Still, I am not above placing them in capital letters at the beginning of my book review, in a pitiful attempt to entice my readers to continue onward.

I have read 56% of this book, which equals the first five of its nine short stories. I read them about a month and a half ago, and when I just now picked up the book in my hands, I had forgotten if I'd even read the story "Sexy." The details came back slowly... not a good sign, when you consider that my memory for fiction typically lasts years.

Still, the first story, "A Temporary Matter," is brilliant. It is not brilliant in the "shiny and happy" sort of way, but in the "piercingly accurate and moving" sort of way. I read this entire story with a fierce look upon my face... A young married couple receives notice that their electricity will be turned off every night, beginning at 8pm. And in the private darkness of their home, every night, they play a simple game that helps them speak what they could not communicate otherwise. They explore their relationship, reach blindly for a way to move forward. Eventually, they grasp the truth of the situation. To me, these characters feel real. In a scene when the husband brushes his teeth, I think the author captures the occasional mundanity of daily life.

The title story, "Interpreter of Maladies," once again portrays a cast of frail, hopeless characters who are trapped in an existence of suffering, due primarily to the overpowering influence of their unfulfilled desires. Hindu overtones abound here, made especially apparent when the family of American tourists visit an ancient holy site. The tourists are sick, almost grotesque, due to their own lack of discipline, which is highlighted in sharp contrast to their disciplined Indian tour guide... or so we think. There are some surprising, provocative moments in the story and the story really picks up in the middle when the conflict finally reveals itself. The English teacher in me really enjoyed the irony that the interpreter in this story is both immensely powerful, yet at the same time completely powerless.

Overall, I would say this is a well-crafted collection of stories about India and her people, including those who stay at home and those who move abroad.

This collection contains characters who struggle to manage their desires -- especially sexual desire -- in their personal relationships and daily life. It is filled with characters who question their choices, doubt their fate, and yearn for a truer sort of existence. Sadly, some are hurt by their dangerous passions. And honestly, the book left me a little depressed.

No comments: