Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Adjustment Team

"The Adjustment Team" will sate nearly any conspiracy lover as it is a story about secret organizations that set day to day life on the correct path.  I'm more interesting, however, in thinking about it as a metaphor for a supernatural creator/designer.  Knowing Dick's own fascination with God, it makes for an inert testing crossover between religious belief and illuminati-like secret organizations.

I've recently had a fascination with Baudrillard's idea of the simulation and simulacra,  as expressed in Turkle's work (so I don't have a deep understanding).  I connect it here because, in the the world of "the Adjustment Team", the world is more a program of cause and effect, with the Adjusters being able to see how events relate and lead from one to another.  It questions whether the world should have a Designer or not; then, assuming there is a designer, it asks if the designed should be aware of it.  I've  a feeling I will continue coming back to this: Dick wonders if there is something beyond us, then asks us if we want to know or not.

(Also, not the best post.  I blame being on a long weekend vacation, and typing on an iPad.)

No comments: