Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Alpha Girls - Dan Kindlon

After reading Stressed Out Girls the beginning of this year, this book left me refreshed. It justified the new-age, driven, female perfection we see so often. Let's face it, almost all my AP class is girls.

An alpha girl"
"1. a GPA of 3.8 or higher
2. At least one leadership position ........
3. Participation in extra curricular activities, in or out of school, for a min. of 10h a week
4. High achievement motivation score..
5. High self-rating for dependability...."

While many books, especially pop-psych books, leave females feeling victim of their time and power, this one left me hopeful. The working definition of feminism (as more equal than overpowering and "damn the man") and the role of positive media were pleasant surprises.

Yes, another psych book for Abbie's reviews.. but this one makes you kinda smile, and feel more normal for wanting to take over the world....

7 comments:

Kate said...

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of psych books out of you this year...
I am sort of curious, though... does the book promote the perfectionism? Or justify it? Or just propose some theories for its origin? It definitely sounds like an interesting book, though...

Unknown said...

I think it is an interesting comment that a word like "feminism" can have a meaning that leads towards equality rather than superiority. The name in and of itself is a classifier. My hopeless romantic side says we need a new word for all those things we talk about.

Charles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

hello fellas. I'm honestly into shoes and I was searching for that meticulous brand. The prices as regards the velcros are all over 310 bucks everwhere. But finally I bring about this site selling them for half price. I exceptionally like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hi ppl. I'm honestly into shoes and I was looking as far as something that meticulous model. The prices due to the fact that the shoes are all over 180 pounds everwhere. But definitively I set this locate selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order those. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

good evening bros. I'm honestly into shoes and I was searching as far as something that singular make. The prices seeking the shoes are approximately 250 pounds everwhere. But finally I bring about this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hi everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking as far as something that exact make. The prices seeking the sneakers are around 200 bucks everwhere. But for all I set this site selling them for half price. I really like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order those. what do you think?