Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Ulysses: Since Last Time

I am still working my way through Ulysses, though it has taken a decrease lately as Sarah has had a lot of work (she is the student who is reading it now as well), and I've had a lot of prep stuff and grad school stuff to get through. I'd decided to read Interpreter of Maladies a bit more as it is a collection of short stories, and is significantly easier to work through.

But just this morning I decided I needed to get back to Bloom and his day of semi-infamy. I'm also inspired by Charlie telling me to quit summarizing and mention something of interest. To this I can merely say, "try reading the book again, and saying that to my face." At this point Charlie would roundhouse kick me about the skull; he is a black belt, and I am fearful.

I was stuck on Episode 7 of Ulysses, "Aeolus". In the Odyssey this is when Odysseus' men happen to release the bad winds (tee hee) which causes the crew, who is almost home, to get blown drastically off course. This is transferred, in Joyce's novel, to the office of The Telegraph, a Dublin newspaper where Bloom is trying to place an advertisement. As he goes from man to man trying to get this simple task done, he is blown about, unable to speak with any given character for very long.

As I'd briefly mentioned in an earlier post, the book does a good job of causing the reader to experience the same thing as the characters. I may not completely grasp every nuance of the story, but I know how Odysseus must have felt, having seen the end of his journey, only to be thwarted. I can see the end of this chapter, but can't seem to get to it. I myself was drastically blown off course upon first reading, but luckily I kept my fortitude. I've turned the boat around, adjusted the sails, and am slowly plowing the boat on.

1 comment:

Charles said...

That was funny -- and you're right, I can't talk any more trash until I read some more myself... I fall before the might of your literary endeavor.

I agree about the way that we also participate in the voyage ourselves.