Sunday, February 18, 2007

"I've become an unnatural self."

I think I've always been a fan of science fiction. Star Wars was as ingrained at an early age as was Catholic Doctrine; there are three aspects of God that are the holy trinity, and Darth Vader is Luke and Leia's father. Because of this fandom, on my part, I've recently wanted to read some of the more modern classics of science fiction, and when my mother-in-law gave us gift certificates for Amazon, I went SF-crazy.

I picked up Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. This was the inspiration for Blade Runner (starring none other than Han Solo) and, though i think I've seen the movie, I don't remember half of what was in the book. Once again, I had to pick a book that made me question my own humanity, and what that word even means.

Allow me to digress. I also got a copy of The Canticle for Leibowitz which has a foreword that talks about the difference between literature and fiction. I, being a reading snob, have often wondered about the difference between these two things as well; the definition it gave was that literature changes you. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, I am happy to say, does just that.

The book is about Rick Deckard, a bounty hunter who works for the San Francisco police, tracking down rogue androids, which are now illegal on the planet Earth (there are a lot of details I'm leaving out; just read the book if you need them). As much as I felt distant from him at first, I related to the almost manic changes he seems to go through in the course of his day. He is introduced to a new type of android that is even harder to tell apart from normal humans; he is introduced to a man whom he thinks, for a moment, is an android; he breaks a "retiring" record by "killing" six androids; He sleeps with an android. Throughout the whole thing he thinks about what it is he's doing, and, although I paid little attention to it the first time, his wife's words, as the beginning of the story, resonate with him throughout the day: "just those poor andy's."

Do we feel bad for robots when they are destroyed? Now imagine that robot had feelings. What about if you got super attached to your computer, then it (and we use this term) dies. I always hated finishing books, because I had to leave them then. Those characters would go away, a reason, I believe, why I love monthly comic books. In the novel, Deckard has an electric sheep, because in the post-apocalyptic world, caring for animals is considered a duty and privilege (though also a status symbol). How much is our awareness really play a role in what we feel and experience? If you had a pet dog and it died, you'd feel sad. if you had a pet dog that was an electric dog, would you still? Now imagine not knowing whether it was or not.

That's how I feel after reading this book. There is a weird ambivalence, but at the same time I'm quite happy to realize that it is the choices that I make that allow me to feel the things I feel. It is my interest in reading books like Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? that will guarantee I may change my mind about that with the next book; only for it to evolve again with the next, and so on.

At the end of the book, to spoil part of it, Rick Deckard goes to sleep. I'm going to go do the same.

5 comments:

Andy said...

Funny I vaguely remember you telling me about this idea, 25 books in 2007, and I do so like the idea. A bit of motivation, don't ya know. I do believe that I would like to get in on the act.
I am half way through both "The Audacity of Hope" By Barack Obama and "The Screwtape Letters" by C. S. Lewis and just started "Ragtime" by E.L. Doctorow this evening. Even more interestingly, given your post, I recently reacquiried a copy of "The Canticle for Leibowitz" at a little used book shop in VA. Though I am guessing that since it would be a reread from highschool it really wouldn't count in the 25 for '07. Shame though, since I don't remember it very well.
I also just watch the very, very unusual "A Scanner Darkly" which is a Phillip K. Dick novel as well. I was thus considering reading some of Mr. Dick's work next as two of my compatriots are big Dick pushers. hee hee.
At any rate now it is my turn to get to bed so I will speak of these matters with you tomorrow. I believe that you are off work.
-Andy

Cappy said...

One of the ethics teachers at Gonzaga - Ms. Corrigan, not my ethics teacher - actually showed her class "Blade Runner" as some kind of ethical analysis.

(And this while I was studying Kant's categorical imperative!)

Snobby as I was and am, I scoffed at the idea then. Perhaps I'd be wise to reconsider.

Kate said...

What is it about you English guys that makes you read three or four books at the same time? Its a very peculiar habit...
But we'd love to have you join, Andy. And although we haven't really clearly defined the "rules" for rereading books, since I already did it once, I don't see any problem if you want to reread The Canticle for Leibowitz since its been so long since the last time.
As to the actual post... I always enjoy these philosophical centers covered by a science fiction coat (like a peanut butter cup) because, in a good situation, both the center and the coat are good enough to amuse you individually, and combined, they make an excellent product (like a peanut butter cup).

Anonymous said...

Damn. All you people have an excellent way with words, and Kate, great job with the Peanut butter cup simile. It almost works too well.

As for 3 books at once, I was thinking about how this was possible for me as I don't usually get up to such shenanigans. At first, I thought it the cause was mostly the way the readings had began. Obama at the end of vacation just after birthday, "Screwtape" recently to stay a day ahead of my kids who I have reading it for Brit Lit. (totally snuck it into the curriculum), and "Ragtime" yesterday because I was just discussing it was colleagues a day or so before the break and had been talking with my brother a month or so before that.

I quickly realized that this only explained the beginning of the reading and not why, as sometimes happens - particularly of late, one book was not abandoned as another was picked up. The answer is narrative mode and format.

1 Non fiction, 1 fiction, and 1 historical fiction. Devils tell one story in letters. Obama explores his life and beliefs thematically; and "Ragtime" is written in 3rd person omniscient with an focal point that shifts by chapter between several main characters.

Thus there is really no danger of cross-pollution that you may get from reading "Hobbit" and "A Wizard of EarthSea" simultaneously.

But to really blow your mind I also been reading long but interesting articles in Harpers in-betwixt the 3 books but I don't suppose that will count. Ahhh well. I should really sleep, I am going to wake when Meg leaves for work and then again way later...maybe part of one more chapter in "Ragtime"...

-Andy "I don't know why the site automaticly recognized me last night but not tonight" Curtis

Charles said...

On the topic of several readings at once:
I would just like to add that it's impossible for me to post to this thing as I'm reading like a bazillion different things at once now too, and it's highly improbable that I will finish ANY of them. And many of them are long articles in periodicals, such as this fantastic article called "Unhappy Meals" that was recently the cover article for the New York Times magazine. And I just read this GREAT essay called "The F Word" by Firoozeh Dumas, which is about growing up Iranian in America, and her decision to change her name to a more "American-sounding" name. Also, I just read a few chapters of "Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui," which I bought after being inspired by my friend who recently removed 8 trash bags of extra clutter from his living space. And I also read a few chapters of "Homebuying for Dummies," which I need to learn about....

This project has made me much more aware of what I read. Turns out I read far more often than I ever thought.

RE: Electric Sheep
I love Bladerunner. Studied it in high school English class, watching film while also reading a copy of the script. Found it a fascinating study into identity and memory. Have often thought of reading the Electric Sheep story...

RE: Andy
Great to hear from you!!